“You can’t make a good business deal with a bad business person.”
Alex Shute, MBA
- Primary point of contact for sellers
- Interfaces with external service providers to help sellers streamline operations
- Works with sellers in exit planning
- Helps structure mutually beneficial asset purchase agreements and oversees capital transfer
- Creates sales packets, seller interviews and marketing materials
- The Tipping Point – Malcolm Gladwell
- The 4-Hour Work week – Tim Ferriss
- How I Built This – Guy Raz
- The Art of War – Sun Tzu
- Masters of Scale – Reid Hoffman
Get to Know Alex
- Alex is passionate about all things business, online and international. He knows that entrepreneurs fuel the global economy and is committed to furthering their cause.
- Having lived in Japan for 5 years, he exported Japanese vehicles to East Africa. Alex played a critical role in the expansion of a children’s app which has been translated (text & audio) into over 40 languages and downloaded over 25 million times. In addition, he led the sales, product development and customer service of a rapidly growing European-based tech startup which has disrupted the conference and translation industry.
- Married with two amazing kids, Alex calls Los Angeles home. He is an avid traveler (30+ countries), snowboarding enthusiast and self-proclaimed coffee connoisseur.
- Alex holds a Bachelor of Science in International Business from Azusa Pacific University and an MBA from West Texas A&M University.
- Primary point of contact for prospective buyers
- Asset migration
- Performs due diligence and develops valuations
- Interfaces with attorneys, lenders and buy-side representatives to structure purchase agreements and secure funding
- Zero to One – Peter Thiel
- The Innovator’s Dilemma – Clayton Christensen
- Blue Ocean Strategy – W. Chan Kim
- Principles – Ray Dalio
- The Intelligent Investor – Benjamin Graham
Get to Know Mark
- Mark found a love for entrepreneurship and doing business online in 2012, eventually leading him to partner with Alex to found Upward Exits in 2017.
- Before Upward Exits, Mark founded, acquired and ran a number of online businesses throughout a variety of business models. Some ventures were successful and others were not.
- Currently residing in the Los Angeles suburb of Redondo Beach, CA. When Mark isn’t working you can find him scuba diving, traveling or hiking in the Santa Monica mountains with his dog, Heisman.
- Mark holds a bachelors degree from Colorado State University where he was also a division I athlete. Mark has also sat on the board of directors for the Ram Alumni Athlete Association.
Darius Banasik, MBA
- Works with business sellers to streamline operations and create operating procedures
- Represents sellers in the disposition process from sales packet development to close and migration.
- Sapiens – Harari
- Blue Ocean Strategy – Kim & Mauborgne
- Can’t Hurt Me – Goggins
- Tim Ferriss
Get to Know Darius
Alex Kivali, MFE
- Constructs financial models and preliminary valuations
- Receives and evaluates indications of interest
- Works with buyers to structure beneficial purchase agreements and mitigate risk
- Freakonomics – Levitt & Dubner
- King of Capital – Morris & Carey
- The Fish That Ate the Whale – Rich Cohen
- The Men Who Built America (Documentary)
Get to Know Alex
- Alex found his curiosity for the capital markets as a candidate of Ohio University’s nationally-ranked MFE and has continued to further his understanding as a Level 2 Candidate of the CFA curriculum.
- Prior to Upward Exits, Alex worked as a CDO Analyst for US Bank’s leading Corporate Trust Services and an Analyst for Morgan Stanley Wealth Management.
- Having been born in Tanzania and raised in the United Kingdom, Alex currently resides in Ypsilanti, Mi where he enjoys playing soccer/keeping fit as well as reading/writing equity research reports through the Seeking Alpha research platform.
- Alex holds a Bachelors degree in Accounting from Ashford University in addition to a Master of Financial Economics from Ohio University.